In 1972, the Board of Directors of the Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) authorized a program to reward outstanding and deserving examiners who demonstrate excellence in their work by supporting their attendance at the graduate banking or graduate trust school of their choice. The Board of Trustees of the CSBS Education Foundation (CSBSEF) assumed responsibility for administering this program from CSBS.
The program is designed to:
- Encourage and assist qualified bank and trust examiners to prepare themselves for expanded duties and responsibilities in their banking departments;
- Broaden the examiner’s understanding of banking or trust operations;
- Encourage excellence in bank and trust examination;
- Provide the opportunity for State Bank Supervisors to recognize their outstanding examiners; and,
- Raise the level of proficiency of state banking departments.
The Award is a scholarship to the Graduate Banking School and Graduate Trust Program of choice funded by CSBSEF and covers the actual annual costs up to $3,000 for tuition, registration fees, lodging, board, text materials, transportation and other related items such as graduation expenses for the top three applicants. In addition, the Graduate School of Banking at Colorado will provide a $1,250 scholarship per year of attendance to the fourth place winner to attend their graduate banking program.
The term of the Graduate Banking School and Graduate Trust Program award is up to three consecutive years depending on the school curriculum and assuming the recipient attends each session and satisfactorily completes problems assigned during the two and three-year courses, and remains employed by a state banking department.
Graduate School Locations
- The Graduate School of Banking at Colorado
- University of Colorado, Boulder
- The National School of Banking (Formerly the National School of Saving Banking)
- Fairfield University, Fairfield, Connecticut
- The Graduate School of Banking
- University of Wisconsin, Madison
- The Pacific Coast Banking School
- University of Washington, Seattle
- The Southwestern Graduate School of Banking
- Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
- The Stonier Graduate School of Banking
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- The Graduate School of Banking of the South
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge
Each state may submit up to three (3) nominations for graduate banking and/or graduate trust scholarships. If you have any questions or need more information about the program, please refer to the program description link above.