Candidates for the CSME designation must provide evidence of the following:
- Completion of CME education and experience requirements.
- Completion of a minimum of twelve (12) months of on-the-job service and training as an examiner-in-charge of large, complex interstate mortgage providers.
- Satisfactory completion of the following CSBS course offering or equivalent*:
- CSBS Day One: Mortgage Examiner Training (online)
- Advanced formal mortgage classroom training totaling a minimum of fifty-six (56) hours
*Examples of equivalent training would include applicable portions of Fraud Schools up to a minimum of four and a half days and the FRB Real Estate Lending Examination Techniques School.
- Attestation of successful job performance and mastery of appropriate job-related skills by a supervisor within the candidate's organization. "Supervisor" is defined as an individual whose job classification is at the Examinations Manager level or higher. All attestations shall be considered final once signed. Attestation as to a candidate's skill will be supported by a defined response form that outlines the necessary and appropriate skills. A high degree of reliance is placed on the attestation forms provided by the applicant’s supervisor when granting certification. For that reason, the individual signing the form should be familiar with the applicant’s experience, performance, and skills/abilities, and should be confident that the applicant meets all the requirements as noted on the form.
The attestation form addresses the following categories:
TECHNICAL - Provides effective leadership and organization to the examination process:
- Meets skills and ability guidelines for the CME,
- Effectively supervises personnel to ensure adherence to examination procedures and policies,
- Provides effective training,
- Monitors progress of assigned personnel to ensure accurate and timely completion of work,
- Effectively organizes and delegates assignments, and
- Supervises, organizes, and effectively documents workpapers according to prescribed procedures and
- Effectively supervises and oversees the entire examination process.
CONCEPTUAL - Provides effective and accurate evaluation of the operational and financial activities of larger, complex interstate mortgage providers:
- Effectively follows established examination procedures to collect and analyze data,
- Develops correct conclusions from collected data,
- Effectively reviews reports of examination for accuracy, content, conclusions, and proper grammar, and
- Effectively evaluates and adjusts scope of examination as each situation requires.
LEGAL/COMPLIANCE – Effectively demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, laws, rules and regulations:
- Effectively demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, laws, rules and regulations and
- Effectively follows established examination procedures for presenting violations and recommending corrective action or enforcement powers.
HUMAN RELATIONS - Provides effective oral and written communications:
- Effectively and clearly communicates assignments to assisting personnel;
- Effectively and clearly communicates with mortgage provider personnel to obtain information;
- Effectively and clearly communicates examination findings to the mortgage provider owner, directors, and supervisory personnel;
- Effectively prepares written comments which are accurate, grammatically correct, logically arranged, and factually support any conclusions drawn and
- Effectively coordinates examination planning and execution with other state regulators or authorities as appropriate.