Candidates for the COE designation must provide evidence of the following:
- Completion of a minimum of twelve (12) months of on-the-job service and training related to financial institution regulation and supervision.
- Satisfactory completion of the following CSBS course offerings or their equivalent:
- Day One: Bank Safety & Soundness Examiner Training
- Bank Financial Analysis School
- Attestation of successful job performance and mastery of appropriate job-related skills by a superior within the candidate's organization. "Superior" is defined as an individual whose job classification is at the Examiner-in-Charge level or higher. All attestations shall be considered final once signed. Attestation as to a candidate's skill will be supported by a defined response form that outlines the necessary and appropriate skills. A high degree of reliance is placed on the attestation forms provided by the applicant's supervisor when granting certification. For that reason, the individual signing the form should be familiar with the applicant's experience, performance, and skills/abilities, and confident that the applicant meets all the requirements as noted on the form.
The attestation form addresses the following categories:
TECHNICAL - Provides effective organization to the examination process by:
- Effectively adheres to examination procedures and policies
- Effectively organizes assignments
- Ensures pre-examination planning and requests are successfully completed in a timely manner, and
- Organizes and effectively documents workpapers according to prescribed procedures.
CONCEPTUAL - Provides effective and accurate evaluation of the operational activities of financial institutions by:
- Effectively follows established examination procedures to collect and analyze data, and
- Develops correct conclusions from collected data.
LEGAL/COMPLIANCE - Effectively demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, laws, rules and regulations.
HUMAN RELATIONS - Provides effective oral and written communications by:
- Effectively and clearly communicates with financial institution personnel to obtain information;
- Effectively and clearly communicates examination findings to supervisory personnel;
- Effectively prepares written comments that are accurate, grammatically correct, logically arranged, and factually support any conclusions drawn; and
- Works effectively with others to achieve common goals.