Candidates for the CME designation must provide evidence of the following:
- Completion of a minimum of twelve (12) months of on-the-job service and training related to mortgage provider examinations.
- Satisfactory completion of the following CSBS course offering or an equivalent training on basic mortgage examination (consisting of a minimum of thirty-six (36) hours of classroom instruction):
- - CSBS's Day One: Mortgage Examiner Training (online)
- Examples of equivalent training would include AARMR Basic School and applicable portions of AARMR / NACCA Consumer Services Schools up to a minimum of four and a half days.
- Attestation of successful job performance and mastery of appropriate job-related skills by a supervisor within the candidate's organization. "Supervisor" is defined as an individual whose job classification is at the Examination Manager level or higher. All attestations shall be considered final once signed. Attestation as to a candidate's skill will be supported by a defined response form that outlines the necessary and appropriate skills. A high degree of reliance is placed on the attestation forms provided by the applicant’s supervisor when granting certification. For that reason, the individual signing the form should be familiar with the applicant’s experience, performance, and skills/abilities, and should be confident that the applicant meets all the requirements as noted on the form.
The attestation form addresses the following categories:
TECHNICAL - Provides effective organization to the examination process by:
- Effectively adheres to examination procedures and policies,
- Effectively organizes assignments,
- Ensures pre-examination planning and requests are successfully completed in a timely manner and
- Organizes and effectively documents workpapers according to prescribed procedures.
CONCEPTUAL - Provides effective and accurate evaluation of the operational and financial activities of mortgage providers by:
- Effectively follows established examination procedures to collect and analyze data and
- Develops correct conclusions from collected data.
LEGAL/COMPLIANCE - Provides effective and accurate evaluation of policies, procedures, laws, rules and regulations:
- Effectively demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, laws, rules and regulations and
- Effectively follows established examination procedures for presenting violations and recommending corrective action or enforcement powers
HUMAN RELATIONS - Provides effective oral and written communications by:
- Effectively and clearly communicates with mortgage provider personnel to obtain information,
- Effectively and clearly communicates examination findings to supervisory personnel and/or owners/directors and
- Effectively prepares written comments that are accurate, grammatically correct, logically arranged, and factually support any conclusions drawn.
Every three years, certified examiners are required to submit 63 continuing education hours (CEHs) in order to renew a CME certification. If an examiner exceeds this requirement, up to 14 CEHs may be carried over into the new three-year term. Continuing education should be selected with the goal of maintaining, improving, or expanding the examiner's knowledge, skills, and abilities.