Candidates for the CSBE designation must provide evidence of the following:
- Completion of a minimum of forty-eight (48) months of on-the-job service and training as an examiner-in-charge, as lead of a target examination, or as central point of contact for a large complex financial institution.
- Satisfactory completion of the course requirements for the COE, CCE, CEIC designations, and one or more of the following course offerings or an equivalent. If an applicant is able to demonstrate significant experience in area 1 above, he or she may seek a waiver of the COE/CCE/CEIC certification requirements and/or this education component. The granting of a waiver will be at the sole discretion of the CSBS Education Foundation Examiner Certification Committee.
- Large Bank Examination School
- Advanced specialty school
- Graduate School of Banking
- CSBS Senior School
- Attestation of successful job performance and mastery of appropriate job-related skills by a superior within the candidate's organization. "Superior" is defined as an individual whose job classification is at the Certified Examinations Manager level or higher. All attestations shall be considered final once signed. Attestation as to a candidate's skill will be supported by a defined response form that outlines the necessary and appropriate skills. A high degree of reliance is placed on the attestation forms provided by the applicant's supervisor when granting certification. For that reason, the individual signing the form should be familiar with the applicant's experience, performance, and skills/abilities, and should be confident that the applicant meets all the requirements as noted on the form.
The attestation form addresses the following categories:
TECHNICAL - Provides effective leadership and organization to the examination process by:
- Effectively supervises personnel of the examination or the target examination to ensure adherence to examination procedures and policies
- Provides effective training, mentoring and coaching
- Monitors progress of assigned personnel to ensure accurate and timely completion of work
- Effectively organizes and delegates assignments
- Effectively supervises the organization and documentation of workpapers according to prescribed procedures
- Effectively supervises and oversees the entire examination process, including those examinations performed jointly with multiple regulatory agencies, including federal agencies, and including examinations of multiple bank holding companies and institutions with multiple lines of business.
CONCEPTUAL - Provides effective and accurate evaluation of the overall activities of financial institutions by:
- Effectively follows established examination procedures to collect and analyze data
- Develops correct conclusions from collected data
- Effectively reviews reports of examination for accuracy, content, conclusions, and proper grammar
- Effectively evaluates and adjusts scope of examination as required
LEGAL/COMPLIANCE - Effectively demonstrates knowledge of policies, procedures, laws, rules and regulations.
- Effectively conducts meetings with management and the boards of directors of financial institution.
- Effectively coordinates examination planning and execution with other state and federal supervisory authorities.
ORAL AND WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS
- Effectively and clearly communicates assignments to assisting personnel
- Effectively and clearly communicates with financial institution personnel to obtain information
- Effectively and clearly communicates examination findings to financial institution and supervisory personnel
- Effectively prepares written comments which are accurate, grammatically correct, logically arranged, and factually support any conclusions drawn